Christian Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament
Christian CND is an independent specialist section of the Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament. Christian CND provides a focus for Christians who want to witness on the basis of their faith against nuclear weapons and other weapons of mass destruction, while also positively campaigning for peace.
We believe that nuclear weapons should be a mainstream issue for Christians as we seek to live out Christ's call to be peacemakers. We believe that there is an exciting opportunity for Christians to work for a better world through rejecting the current status quo in which many seem to accept nuclear weapons as a so-called "necessary evil".
Our aims and activities are summarised as follows:
In response to the teaching and example of Jesus Christ:
- CCND works for international peace and disarmament, and a world in which the vast resources now devoted to militarism are redirected to the real needs of the human community. CCND supports all genuine disarmament measures, and supports all genuine attempts to build community and reconciliation.
- CCND opposes the use of superior weapons systems and of threats to use them in order to maximise control over world resources.
- CCND recognises that weapons of mass destruction – whether nuclear, biological, chemical or conventional – are a particularly serious threat to humanity and to the future of the planet. They are a sign of humanity’s disobedience to God’s law for us, and are also a rejection of international law. Such weapons are immoral and do nothing to increase the security of Britain and the world.
- CCND therefore rejects all ‘defence’ based on weapons of mass destruction and calls for the unconditional abandonment by Britain of such weapons of mass destruction.
- Stimulating debate and education on matters of weapons of mass destruction and militarism at all levels in the churches
- Helping and inspiring Christian people to work for a world free of nuclear weapons, and towards a world order based on peace and justice.
- Providing support, resources and a focus for those in the churches wishing to witness against such weapons and their underlying causes.
- Being a specifically Christian voice in the wider peace movement.
- Exploring inter-faith understanding and co-operation in establishing justice and reconciliation.