- When is it appropriate to treat someone engaged by your organisation as self-employed?
- Can you ensure that someone is treated as self-employed simply by having an agreement with them that says they are?
- What happens if, in practice, the relationship looks like one of employer and employee but you try to define it as self-employed?
- What role does personal support raising have for an individual’s employment status?
These questions, and others, will be answered in the first part of our online seminar led by Mark Mason, an employment lawyer experienced in helping mission agencies and Christian organisations through these complex issues.
As well as considering employment status, we will spend some time thinking about the equality law issue of when it is acceptable to specify that a role must be undertaken by a Christian.
- Who has the protection of equality law?
- How can an organisation test whether a role has a requirement to be undertaken by a Christian?
- If a role does have this requirement, how can this best be demonstrated in the recruitment documents?
- How do you test if someone meets this requirement?
We will consider all these matters and more questions from delegates in the second part of our session, led by Mark Mason.
We will also hear from Neil Brighton regarding some the issues they have faced recently at Latin Link - the questions they asked themselves, the challenges they face in changing, the support from Mark Mason and his team, and their determination (from Trustees down) to find a way to do the right thing even if it is hard.
Please note that this event is for employers with a Christian ethos – please clearly identify the agency or church you are representing in the booking form.
- The event starts at 11:00am but please start 'arriving' from 10:50am so we can admit everyone in time for a prompt 11:00am start.
- You will receive the invitation and password for the webinar in the confirmation email upon booking - please keep an eye on your emails (including your spam or junk mail folders). A reminder will be sent out by 5pm on Tuesday 22nd June
Booking is essential
This webinar is £20 for those from Global Connections or MAP member agencies and churches, and £60 for those from non-member organisations. If you are not sure if your church or organisation is a member of GC, please check with them to confirm or see if they feature on our List of Members page.
By registering, you are giving Global Connections permission to send you information and details relating to this specific event. We send communications via Mailchimp and Eventbrite and you can update your preferences and unsubscribe at any time. You can read our Privacy Notice here. Please note that if you unsubscribe prior to the event you may miss crucial information relating to the event itself.