Due to the closure of Healthlink360NI and Interhealth in the UK, Global Connections and MAP have compiled a list of member/health care service providers across the UK Inc. Ireland and Northern Ireland which can be accessed here.
Ireland and Northern Ireland
- Sylvia Hadden - email@example.com (Belfast. A former missionary doctor who offers counselling)
- Joy Gowdy - firstname.lastname@example.org (Provides debrief, counselling and trauma support to people in mission and in ministry. Telephone and Skype support is also available.)
- Brenda Kelso - Brendakelso29@hotmail.com (Educational Psychologist / Biblical counsellor who offers counselling support / debriefing to individuals and families on a range of issues.)
- Pauline Wilson - email@example.com (Biblical counsellor, part of the Biblical Counselling NI group and works in pastoral care at Belfast Bible College.)
- Comhlámh - www.comhlamh.org (Dublin. Runs re-entry events & courses, debriefing and counselling.)
- TMB - www.tmb.ie/clinics (Tropical Medical Bureau, a Christian-owned travel medicine clinic in Ireland, specialists in providing information and medical care.)
A great place to start
Churches have a key role to play in ensuring mission partners are appropriately supported. Are your church and missions group well equipped?
MAP run specific seminars and events to help churches care for their missionaries well from start to finish. If you would like to find out more about what we can offer contact us.
Visit the Supporting mission partners section of the Global Connections website for links to a range of extremely helpful resources looking at various aspects including pastoral and practical support, praying for your mission partners, relating to the sending agency, financial matters, re–entry support and more.
Time for a thorough MOT?
The Global Connections Guidelines for Good Practice in Member Care is a fantastic resource to help any church or agency sending staff or volunteers overseas. Comprehensive and detailed, the principles covered are based on eleven core values, including church involvement; support structures; orientation, training and briefing; support while serving; and moving on. They can be found here.
Three must–read books
Families on the Move is the essential guide for those taking a family on a cross–cultural assignment – what to look out for, managing transition, continuity in change, how to build bridges back home and more. Sensitive, practical, moving and highly readable.
Burn–Up or Splash–Down? While people anticipate that going overseas will require major changes, few anticipate the difficulties upon return. This encouraging book seeks to aid the re–entry process by identifying areas of potential struggle, dealing with emotional challenges and other issues in relocation, and facilitating a smooth transition.
Single Mission aims to encourage and equip single mission personnel, and help them be strong in faith, effective in ministry, resilient, and content with their lifestyle. An excellent resource to help us all understand the dynamics of single people in mission.
To order any of these, visit our online shop.
Supporting Third Culture Kids (TCKs) and Missionary Families
TCK Resource List July 2017: A comprehensive list of reading material covering many aspects of the TCK likfe, including TCK children, older TCKs, special needs and more.
Residency Status and University Admissions Nov 2016: Helpful summary regarding TCKs applying for university.
Praying for Missionary Kids: A seven day prayer guide produced in consultation with many who work extensively with missionary children.
TCK Guidelines: Guidelines for developing policies and procedures for families and children serving overseas.
Needing more specialist help?
Are your mission partners in need of professional debriefing, mentoring or guidance? Do they need help in finding their funding? Or perhaps you are looking for options to give them time on retreat? Further information about a whole range of member care services available to churches and mission partners based in Northern Ireland can be found here.