Global Connections is committed to protecting your privacy, keeping the data you share with us safe, and using it lawfully.
Collecting your data helps us to fulfil our aim of seeking to promote and develop mission across the world and within the church via the resources we share with you.
We aim to be transparent with you about how we collect your data, and we will not do anything you wouldn’t reasonably expect from us.
Please read this policy carefully to understand how we will collect, use and store your data.
Who we are:
Global Connection’s is a Christian Missions charity, for the purposes of this policy, ‘us’ and ‘we’ or ‘GC’ refers to Global Connections. We are registered in England & Wales as the Evangelical Mission Association Charity no.1081966. Company no.3886596
Our registered address is Caswell Road, Leamington Spa, CV31 1QD
What information may we collect about you?
We collect personal data when you register for our forum events, opt-in to receive our communications and prayer letters, create an account on our website, complete a survey, purchase our services, make donations, join our pension schemes, or telephone our office. This may include:
- Your name
- Your postal/billing address
- Your telephone numbers
- Your email address (work or personal)
- The church or organisation to which you belong where this relates to your membership of GC
- Information you enter on our website
- Records of your correspondence with us including your requests to opt-in to our mailings.
- Details of your visit to the website, and interaction with our email communications, including your IP address.
We use this information to provide you with the services you request and give you the best access possible to our network’s resources. You do not have to provide us with this information but if you choose not to we may be unable to give you the information or service you request.
Where do we collect your data from?
From our website
We also collect information about the use of our website by using cookies, (see Cookies policy separately).
Indirectly from third parties
We do not collect information by observation or inference, only what you, or a colleague, may choose to provide.
From publically available data
We may collect information from the public domain including Companies House and/or the Charity Commission.
Where you provide the information, we may collect sensitive data including, but not limited to, your dietary or access requirements to best accommodate you at our events. By providing us with the church you attend and/or organisations you are affiliated with you agree to us holding and using this information.
When booking in to an event, we may share your dietary or access requirements with third party venues for the purpose of facilitating your needs.
Under 16s / under 13s
If you are aged 16 or under and would like to participate in an event, make a donation or get involved with us, please make sure that you have your parent or guardian’s permission before giving us your personal information.
We do not collect sensitive personal information about you unless there is a clear reason for doing so, where we need this information to ensure safeguarding, to carry out appropriate checks on volunteers, or care for participants. For some events we may collect health information with your permission so that leaders on our events have the relevant information to care for participants. When we collect information about a child or young person, we will make it clear why we are collecting this information and how it will be used.
Children from 13 upwards may give their own consent in relation to any online services that we may offer.
How we use your data?
We may use the personal data we collect to:
- to process and send you any resources you have ordered from us (eg. World Prayer News)
- to process any donation or membership contribution(s) we may receive from you, to claim Gift Aid on these donations and to update you on how your donations are being used
- to process event bookings, and/or inform you of any changes
- to set up standing orders and receive one-off card payments
- to provide you with support and advice if you volunteer for any of our events
- to provide you with information that you have requested about our work or our activities
- to provide you with information about other resources, events or programmes we offer that are similar to those you have already purchased or enquired about and to which you have not objected to receiving
- to communicate with supporters
- to record the contact that we have with you
- to provide you with information about GC and how you can support our work as a charity (where you have consented to receiving this information)
- to invite you to participate in surveys or research
- for administration purposes, e.g. we may contact you about a donation you have made or event you have expressed an interest in or registered for
- for internal record keeping, such as the management of feedback or complaints
- to notify you about changes to our services
- to analyse and improve the services we offer
- to analyse the use of our websites and ensure their content is presented in the most effective manner for you and your device (see also our cookies policy)
- to manage your communication preferences
- you can choose at any time which marketing materials you want to receive from us, do just contact our Data Protection Manager – (see details in the contact us section)
We rely on a variety of legal bases from processing your data depending on the activity being undertaken.
We use a contractual basis for processing data relating to the membership of your employing organisation with us, or as an individual associate or friend of GC, or provision of resources you have ordered, or events you have booked, and sending you your postal membership pack.
We use legitimate interests for carrying out any administration regarding your employing organisation’s membership with us, or processing receipts for donations towards supporting our staff financially, purchases or subscriptions, as well as to thank you for those.
We use consent for all the email newsletters delivered by any of the activities and programmes run by GC to a personal email address. Every email newsletter you receive will (by the 25th May) provide a clear opportunity for you to opt-out of/unsubscribe from future email newsletters. We will continue to contact you as a customer regarding information about related resources or events you have recently purchased.
We use compliance with a legal obligation as the basis for processing any legally required activities such as Gift Aid returns to HMRC.
When applying for a job you will be given more specific privacy notices and policies in line with the specific requirements of our employment relationship with you.
Disclosure of your data?
We will not share any of your data to any third parties unless we are legally obliged to; or without your permission, or unless indicated in this privacy notice or agreed by you.
We may disclose your personal information to third parties without obtaining further consent from you, for instance:
- to our business partners, suppliers and subcontractors for the performance of any contract we enter into with you. (For example, if you are a CRN member who has chosen to opt-in to a dual advertising package)
- where we outsource any of our business functions under which we collect or store your data, in which case we will ensure that any such service provider adheres to at least the same obligations of security with regard to your data as undertaken by us
We require these third parties to comply strictly with our instructions and data protection laws and will make sure that appropriate controls are in place. Further information on 3rd parties available on request.
We may need to pass on information if required by law or by a regulatory body. For example if we’re required to by HMRC, or a law enforcement agency, or to protect GC in the cases of suspected fraud or defamation. We may use IP address information to identify a user if we feel that there are or may be safety and/or security issues or to comply with legal requirements.
We will never sell your data to a third party for the purposes of marketing.
We may store your personal data outside of the UK, and if so will take additional steps to ensure that your personal data is treated just as safely and securely as it would be within the UK and under the UK GDPR.
How long will we hold information and keep it accurate?
We take reasonable steps to create an accurate record of any personal data your organisation has submitted.
We will keep your information for no longer than is necessary for the purposes for which it is being processed. We comply with normal standards for data retention policies e.g.
|Non – member personal address||2 years|
|Financial records||7 years|
|Job vacancy advertisements||2 years|
|Forum records||2 years|
You can let us know about any changes to your personal data by contacting us (see the contact us section).
If you request to have no further contact with us we may keep some basic (anonymised) information about you (if attached to a financial transaction) on our suppression list in order to avoid sending you content in the future. This involves keeping only your name and the amount.
Global Connections has security measures in place to protect against the loss, misuse and alteration of personal data under our control.
Information is stored by GC in the Cloud. Only authorised personnel are able to access personal information in accordance with our internal policy, and we ensure access to information is password protected or secured via locked filing cabinets. We encrypt financial information you input before it is sent to us.
Your rights to access information
The UK GDPR sets out your key rights as a ‘data subject’ as follows:
- The right to be informed
- The right of access
- The right to rectification
- The right to erasure
- The right to restrict processing
- The right to data portability
- The right to object
- Rights in relation to automated decision making and profiling.
If you have any questions about any of your rights under the Data Protection Legislation, or require more detailed information, please contact us.
The Act gives you the right to access information held about you.
Any access request is normally free of charge but may be subject to a fee.
Right to withdraw consent and complain to a supervisory body
You have the right to be informed of how we use your information and the right to object to us processing your personal data for marketing purposes and to withdraw consent at any time. You also have the right to lodge a complaint with a supervisory body. Find out more here: www.ico.org.uk and for more on your rights see here. You will be able to change your preferences at any time
Cookies are small files saved to the users' computers' hard drive that track, save and store information about the users interactions and usage of the website. This allows the website, through its server to provide the users with a tailored experience within this website.
Users are advised that if they wish to deny the use and saving of cookies from this website on to their computers' hard drive they should take necessary steps within their web browsers security settings to block all cookies from this website and it's external serving vendors.
Other cookies may be stored to your computers' hard drive by external vendors when this website uses referral programs, sponsored links or adverts. Such cookies are used for conversion and referral tracking and typically expire after 30 days, though some may take longer. No personal information is stored, saved or collected.
Changes to our Privacy Notice
We may update this notice from time to time without informing you. By continuing to use our website you will be deemed to have accepted such changes.
How can you access and amend the information we hold about you?
Our Data Proection Manager is Andy Law who can be emailed at email@example.com or phoned on 01926 487755. Our website and communications are administered by Global Connections who is registered in England & Wales as the Evangelical Mission Association. Charity no.1081966. Company no.3886596.