A whole range of free resources for you to access: factsheets, downloads, links to e-learning, pro forma, blog posts and more.
General recruitment and selection resources
- Recruitment – an introduction: A factsheet from CIPD looking at the main stages of the recruitment process, from defining the role to making the appointment.
- Recruitment: Helpful online information from Acas for every stage of the recruitment process.
- Selection methods: An overview of candidate assessment methods, focusing on interviews, psychometric tests and assessment centres. Free factsheet from CIPD.
- Acas e-learning: Covering a range of employment relations topics and helping you understand best practice and current legislation.
- The Acas Model Workplace: Easy to use, the Acas Model Workplace helps you to check how good your organisation is at people management - from recruitment to performance management.
- Job design: The deciding of a job's key contents, from the duties and responsibilities involved to the systems and procedures followed by the person in that role. Helpful factsheet from CIPD.
- Hiring staff: Downloadable documents from Acas covering the whole of the recruitment process - from job descriptions to job induction templates, and everything in between!
- Job description template: A helpful tool from The Telegraph giving a detailed outline of what should be included.
- NI Business Info: A range of sample documents to browse.
- Business Balls: How to write job descriptions - with examples.
- Job Descriptions: Monster webpage offering a number of job description outlines.
Recruiting within the law
- Recruitment - learn how to safely recruit within the law: this CIPD webpage offers factsheets, Q&As, case law, guides, and reports.
- What is indirect discrimination?: Guidance from Ellis Whittam to help us be aware of the possibility of indirect discrimination.
- Retention of HR records: CIPD factsheet outlining legal issues in the UK around effective retention and organisation of HR records.
- Data protection and GDPR in the workplace: CIPD factsheet outlining the legal position on data protection in the UK, the obligations of employers, and individual rights surrounding access to information.
- Do I have to advertise a job vacancy?: Blog post outlining issues to think through when you already have someone in mind who would be well suited to the role.
Issues specifically affecting Christian organisations and churches
- The Equality Act – occupational requirement: What are the circumstances where a church, mission agency or Christian charity can legitimately assert in a recruitment exercise that the post-holder must be a Christian?
- Reflecting your Christian ethos in your HR documents: Does your recruitment literature make clear what your organisation stands for and, if you’re asserting that someone must be a Christian to undertake the role, is it clear from the job description that this is the case?
- How should we go about recruitment and selection?: A suggested recruitment procedure for an organisation with a Christian ethos.
- Employment law – things you need to know: Links to articles, webpages and blogs to keep abreast of employment law and HR issues that churches and Christian organisations need to be aware of in their particular context.
Interview, job offer and induction
- A head for hiring: the behavioural science of recruitment and selection: Factsheet from CIPD providing practical tips for avoiding bias in recruitment, attracting applicants, improving the candidate experience, and making better hiring decisions.
- ‘The 13 fatal errors of interviewing’: Is it ‘halo and horns’ or ‘the similar-to-me’ effect or something else affecting your decisions? A quick handy summary of the pitfalls to avoid when interviewing.
- Pre-employment checks - guidance for organisations: A downloadable guide from CIPD highlighting the key checks you need to carry out, while explaining the risks and practical considerations.
- Job offer letters - templates and checklist - free downloadable resources from Acas.
- Contracts of employment: Helpful basic information from Acas, including a downloadable Written Statement of Employment template.
- The new employee's contract - a step-by-step guide: A more detailed walk through the process from Acas, to ensure you cover everything you need to.
- Induction factsheet: A look at the induction process, and the purpose of induction for employer and employee, from CIPD.
- What should be on your induction programme for new recruits?: Acas webpage with links to a step-by-step process to settling a new employee, an induction guide, and an outline of a job induction checklist.