A covering letter doesn't just support your CV – it's an opportunity for you to stand out, to signpost your strengths and explain why you are one of the best candidates applying for the job. It is more than just a polite introduction - it is important to get it right.
- How to write a cover letter - a great video short from Guardian jobs, outlining tone of voice and content and other helpful tips.
- Your complete guide to writing a cover letter for 2019 - a great video detailing how to write the perfect cover letter for 2019.
Blogs and articles
- How to get a job in the new normal - many of the steps for how to get a job are the same as before Covid-19. However, there are some additional things to bear in mind when you’re preparing. This blog post from Future learn also links to some excellent free short courses to help you as you prepare.
- How to Write a Cover Letter: The All-Time Best Tips - To make sure your letter is in amazing shape (and crafting it is as painless as possible), we’ve brought the best advice on writing a cover letter into one place.
- How to Write a Winning Cover Letter - advice on what you should and shouldn't do when writing a cover letter for a charity job.
- How to write a cover letter - a Guardian Jobs step-by-step guide to writing a successful cover letter.
- Covering letter no-nos - by avoiding the following no-nos, you can create a covering letter that stands out from the crowd.
- Three excellent cover letter examples - if you need some inspiration on what to include and what format to use, here are some helpful guides.
- Write a cover letter that makes recruiters smile - a comprehensive set of tips to help you produce the cover letter that does more than catch a recruiter’s eye.
- How to write an engaging cover letter for the Third Sector - Neville Rose (CV Writers) on how to write a compelling cover letter for not-for-profit roles.
- Cover letter template - a helpful template from Guardian Jobs to get you started.