CV writing tips
Getting your CV up to scratch takes time and effort - but it's worth it! This section looks at everything from length, layout and what to include, to avoiding CV blunders and more.
- How to write a CV - excellent short video from Guardian Jobs, advising on length, layout and what to include.
- How to write a CV - less than 3 minute video from Monster, with tips and tricks to create an effective and engaging CV.
Blogs and articles
- How to get a job in the new normal - many of the steps for how to get a job are the same as before Covid-19. However, there are some additional things to bear in mind when you’re preparing. This blog post from Future learn also links to some excellent free short courses to help you as you prepare.
- How to do a self-assessment of your skills - when you look for a new role, don't start by updating your CV. Begin with a self-assessment to help you identify all the key information about yourself.
- Guardian Jobs advice on how to write a CV - a step-by-step guide on how to perfect each section of your CV.
- 5 CV blunders and how to avoid them - 5 key reasons why your CV may not be getting you the interviews you deserve and how to improve results.
- 5 CV myths that can cost you a job offer - a Charity Job blog debunking five of the most common CV myths.
- 6 CV Mistakes That Ruin Any Application - 6 CV mistakes that may ruin an application and advice on how to avoid them.
- How to capture a recruiters attention in 6 seconds - recruiters spend an average of six seconds skimming over CVs and cover letters. Give them a reason to take more than a brief look at your CV with these tips from Charity Job.
- Balancing the Art and Science of Writing a Great CV - a guide to balancing the science of impressing application software and the art of impressing a recruiter.
- Downloadable CV template - a basic Guardian Jobs CV template
- CV examples and samples - Reed offers a range of CV templates including graduate, school leaver, creative and redundancy
- The most creative CVs of 2015 - Charity Job competition participants were challenged to look beyond the traditional CV and come up with a more creative way to showcase their talents and experience - and these are the results!
Applying for roles - Once you've prepared your CV and found a role that you'd like to apply for, you may be asked to fill out an application form. Learn how to showcase your skills and experience with this helpful advice from CIPD.