'To know Jesus and make Him known in Chesham and the world'
We are a vibrant, friendly, socially mixed conservative Anglican evangelical church that is part of a group of churches in the Parish of Great Chesham. We have three Sunday gatherings at 9am, 11am and 7pm, and are in the process of seeking to plant a small community church in another part of our district. Across the three services on a Sunday, we usually see around 180 adults and 60 children. We seek to be a warm, loving community where we serve one another, and in which people are well supported and cared for.
Our stated vision at Emmanuel is to see people from every part of Chesham finding new life in Christ, being rooted in the life of the church family, growing in maturity and love, becoming disciple-makers and many developing into leaders to build God’s church.
Our vision and values
Our values are what we are most concerned about, and these are reflected in six commitments:
- We are committed to the worship of God - The purpose of our human existence is to bring glory to God and enjoy his friendship. We meet as a church to worship God together through Christ by His Spirit, so that we may be better able to worship Him in every aspect of our lives.
- We are committed to the Bible as the word of God - The Bible is the means by which God shows us how to worship Him through Jesus Christ. It is our final authority in all matters of faith and conduct. Bible teaching is at the centre of everything that we do.
- We are committed to personal and corporate prayer - God has ordained prayer as his means to recognise our dependence, to strengthen our faith in Him and involve us in His work. Therefore prayer underpins everything that we do.
- We are committed to local and global mission - God commands us to make known the good news of Jesus Christ as Lord and Saviour by word and deed. We seek to do this by encouraging personal and church-based evangelism; serving the community to show the caring love of God for others; making our church services accessible and our welcome of newcomers warm; supporting the work of mission partners and organisations across the world.
- We are committed to living as the family of God - With the help of Holy Spirit, we seek to nurture the growth of people of all ages, backgrounds and life situations, in godliness and holy living. We aim to love one another and share each other’s joys and sorrows.
- We are committed to wise stewardship of God’s world - Everything belongs to God, so we encourage cheerful and generous giving; engagement with issues of social justice; and the responsible use of His resources.