The Charnwood Trust
The Charnwood Trust was the very first place in the UK to provide and advocate for incusive pre-school education. At a time (in the late 1960s) when it was shocking to think of children with and without Special Needs playing and learning side by side, Charnwood made this it's central tenet. Staring in an outhouse, it has now grown into a highly professional independent nursery and family centre described by Nursery World magazine as "world class".
The core aims of the trust remain the same. However we feel an increasing responsibility to offer greater access to our unique provision, and also to share our vision and experience around the beleagured Early Years education sector in the UK.
The Charnwood Trust aims to:
- promote the physical, mental, emotional and spiritual welfare of children
- provide inclusive nursery school education especially for children with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities
- provide help and support for their families
- be an example of excellence in inclusive nursery education
- resource the UK Early Years education sector with training and consultancy in inclusive education
…and in these ways, to demonstrate the Christian faith in action
The trust does this by providing outstanding nursery education and family support in three settings in South Manchester. From these settings we share expertise and vision for inclusive pre-school education with the Early Years sector across the UK. We also welcome Early Years students and apprentices. In addition we offer a number of bespoke services such as Opportunity Groups, family and Special Needs support and specialist equipment.